A'18 AIA NATIONAL CONFERENCE RECAP
by Jenna L. Fribley, AIA
Our chapter was well-represented in NYC for the 2018 AIA National Conference. It was a great venue for the conference activities and tours, as well as independent exploration and architectural geekiness.
Weds 6/20 was the day of national and regional governance meetings. At the Annual Meeting, all of the resolutions were passed. Read about each of the resolutions HERE.
Thurs 6/21 included educational sessions as well as the voting for candidates for national office. Results are listed below, and more information about each can be found HERE.
- L. Jane Frederick, FAIA, from AIA South Carolina, was elected 2019 First Vice President/2020 President-elect.
- Jason Winters, AIA, from AIA Chesapeake Bay/AIA Maryland, was elected 2019-2020 Secretary.
- Jessica Sheridan, AIA, from AIA New York Chapter/AIA New York, was elected an At-large Director.
The keynote lectures were held at the incredible Radio City Music Hall on Thursday and Friday evenings.
- Day 1 Keynote: Sir David Adjaye, Hon. FAIA presented a series of projects that illustrate how his firm, Adjaye Associates, reinvents itself as it goes.
- Day 2 Keynote: Sheela Søgaard, CEO of Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG), spoke on the business of architecture.
The conference provided a great assortment of tours, educational sessions, and other activities. Read more about them HERE and/or chat with our attending members (see pics right) next time you bump into them at a chapter meeting or coffee shop!