In designing an office for our firm, we created a place where our values and aspirations are evident to ourselves, our consultants, and clients. We reevaluated how we work, and made a place that represents our appreciation of craft, collaboration, and connectivity. We recognized that we require less space, paper, and fewer walls.
We leased part of a former department store designed by A.E. Doyle in 1928. The building’s provenance was not evident, as poor renovations and neglect masked its merits. We revealed embedded qualities of longevity, daylight, and views. These values are consistent with our own. They are fundamental components of architecture that acknowledges responsibility to its users and the larger community around them.
Windows at the space’s north and east sides and columns at its core resulted in a scheme with two parts: an L-shaped space near the windows, and a volume nested among the columns. This volume is called The Shell, and contains spaces desiring separation.
The Shell’s MDF panels have perforations derived from a drawing executed years ago by a firm partner: a view of the city’s geographical condition. Portions of the drawing were converted to half-tone images. The resulting dots were CNC machined into the panels. The panels convey something about our historical and current processes. They address our recognition of context, and acknowledge the role of digital media, fabrication, and the perennial utility of drawing. They recognize change, and our increasing obligation to manage resources with care.
This project is LEED Platinum certified.